Please review this copy of the audited financial statements for the Annual General Meeting on April 26, 2013.
A one-page summary of our financials will be included with the Annual Report which will be distributed by April 19, 2013.
At the Board of Directors' meeting on July 4, 2012, the following recommendations by the Membership Committee were accepted-
1. Proposed for Membership – Katharine Usher-Vollett – General Manager at TMST Sports Management, Katharine is also daughter of the late Lorne Usher. Team Manager of Nepean Minor Hockey Club, Nepean City Soccer Coach 2 years / North Grenville Chamber of Commerce, NGCOA Eastern Ontario 8 years, NGCOA Advisory Board member. “It is very important to Katharine to become a member and continue her father’s legacy with Kiwanis”
Objections, if any, must be sent to the President of the Kiwanis Club of Ottawa, no later than July 14, 2012
2. Resignations – Richard Munro - Thank you to Richard for his contribution to Kiwanis since 1994, and most importantly for his support of our club, during his year as President in 2000-01.
At the recent Caucus Meeting for Division 12 and 13, EC&C District Governor Janet Atkinson Des Roches, was pleased to announce that Immediate Past President Phil Rossy of our club, was elected as Lieutenant Governor for Division 12 for the remainder of this fiscal year 2011/12, and for next year 2012/13.
"I’m very proud and pleased to serve on your behalf and look forward to the opportunity of meeting all of the Club Presidents and Officers of the 8 Kiwanis Clubs in Division 12, as follows:"
1. KC Bytown
2. KC Cornwall
3. KC Orleans
4. KC Ottawa
5. KC Ottawa-Vanier
6. KC Rideau
7. KC Riverside
8. KC Hull
The Lt. Governor has many responsibilities, which include ensuring participation in club leadership education, helping clubs boost their membership, building new clubs and increasing club, members’ engagement and morale. These responsibilities go a long way toward maintaining the health and vitality of Kiwanis. Congratulations Phil!
Club Elections Results – Congratulations to the Board of Directors for our 2012-13 year, effective October 1, 2012, which was announced at our AGM:
President 2012/13 Alison Hunter
President-Elect: Peter Charboneau
Vice Presidents (2): Guy Bourbonniere
Honorary Secretary-Treasurer - Mark O’Neill has been appointed by President-Designate Alison Hunter.
On behalf of the Club, I would like to congratulate and thank each of these members for their commitment to the leadership of our Club.
I would also like to thank the members of the Nominating Committee who were:
Phil Rossy (Chair)
Thank you all very much.
At the Board of Directors' meeting on April 4, 2011, they approved the recommendation of the Membership Committee to accept the resignation of the following members -
- Ed Healey - lives out of town most of the year
- Brian Quinn - traveling and business
- Armelle Chataigner-Guidez - personal and business
1. Will Thompson, remove business affiliation for HSBC Bank Canada.
He can be contacted on his home email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Ken Miller, new business affiliation
Commercial Account Executive
469 Elgin Street, Ottawa, ON K2P 2E6
5. Mike Moore, new email email@example.com
6. Peter Nadeau, new email firstname.lastname@example.org
On February 10, 2012, Clive Woolley was proud to introduce Donald Charboneau, who will be part of our new Family Membership Category, as approved by the Membership Committee and the Board of Directors, in January 2012.
Don is the son of Vice-President Peter Charboneau, and, the grandson of the late Don Charboneau, who is on our Hall of Fame with the note "31 years of perfect attendance". Don is a Senior Policy Analyst with Department of Natural Resources, and has spent half a dozen years managing YMCA bingo in Belleville, Ontario and has attended many Kiwanis meetings. Joining Kiwanis has long been on his mind and now is a good time. He will be joining our Bed Race Committee.
First 3rd generation Kiwanian in the history of the club. Don was
The Membership Committee is pleased to present a new category for membership which will provide an opportunity for family members to participate at a nominal cost - click on Family Membership. To learn more about this category or to speak about membership, please contact Guy Milne, Chair of Membership Committee.
At the Board of Directors' meeting on February 1, 2012, the Board approved the recommendation of the Membership Committee to accept the following as part of our NEW Family Membership Category, as approved by the Membership Committee and the Board of Directors, and presented by Guy Milne, Chair the Membership Committee, at the Kiwanis luncheon on January 2012.
1. Arthur Morewood, Retired, sponsored by his wife, Dawn Morewood, and Kathleen Holst. Art has been a contributing volunteer for 10 years - reading at Connaught Public School, TV Bingo ticket delivery and pickup, Bed Race on-site, and many other Kiwanis events and projects with Dawn. An avid cyclist, Art is a Bike Race Ottawa organizer, and is a volunteer crossing guard for Metcalfe Public School. He is interested in the Bed Race Committee and Volunteer Coordination.
Objections, IF ANY, must be presented to Martin Diegel, President of the Kiwanis Club of Ottawa, in writing, before February 10, 2012.
We are pleased to welcome the following new members - January 2012
Nadeen Abou Shaaban - Financial Advisor at Sunlife Financial at 1525 Carling Avenue, Ottawa. Nadeen was sponsored into our club on January 13, 2012, by Wadah Al-Ghosen and Bob Horlick. She has volunteered with the Ottawa Food Bank and the Heart and Stroke Foundation, as well as helping youth in the community by raising money for travel for culture awareness, music and sports.
Bill Harsh - Owner and President of WMC Water Management, Bill has rejoined our club and was sponsored by President Martin on January 13, 2012. He was a member of our club from 1998 - 2007, then transferred to the Kiwanis Club of Orleans. He was very active with our Hands-On Committee and was Chair of the Committee in 2002 and played a key role in our Project Stay Warm, along with Salvation Army Toy Mountain, and our support of the Canadian Special Olympics
Gordon Smith - President of OnTrackDesignz, web development, Gordon was introduced to our club by Wayne French on January 27, 2012. He is a member of the Nepean Chamber of Commerce, and Citizens for Safe Cycling. He has volunteered with our TV Bingo and is excited about being a member of our club. We were pleased to have Gordon's badge pinned by Mayor Jim Watson, who was our guest speaker on January 27th.
Mayor Jim Watson - It is a fine tradition of our club to have the Mayor of the City of Ottawa as a member of our club. Mayor Watson was a member of our club from 1992 to 2003 and we are happy to have him return as an Honorary Member. He was sponsored into our club by President Martin on January 27, 2012, and we are proud to have him as an Honorary Member of our club.
At the Board of Directors' meeting on January 11, 2012, the Membership Committee recommended the following for approval by the Board -
1. Application of Gordon Smith - President of OnTrackDesignz, Web Development, sponsored by Wayne French
Objections, IF ANY, must be sent to President Martin Diegel, in writing, no later than January 22, 2012
At the Board of Directors meeting on Wednesday, December 7, 2011, the Board accepted the recommndation of the Membership Committee to approve the application of -
Nadeen Abou Shaaban, Financial Advisor at Sunlife Financial at 1525 Carling Avenue, Ottawa. Nadeen is sponsored by Wadah Al-Ghosen and Bob Horlick. She has volunteered with the Ottawa Food Bank and the Heart and Stroke Foundation, as well as helping youth in the community by raising money for travel for culture awareness, music and sports. She is interested in our contributing to the via the Community Services Committee.
Objections, if any, must be sent to the President of the Kiwanis Club of Ottawa, in writing, before December 17, 2011.
THANK YOU to the following for helping out on Saturday October 15th at our 3rd Annual Watch-It Shred-It Day at Hampton Park Plaza – especially when the day called for Rain! - Mike Lafontaine, Jackie Holzman, Ian Hendry, Kathleen Holst and her nephew Lukas visiting from the States, Jamie Johnson, Tom Burnie, Will Thompson, Ross Hadwen, Neil McDonald, Ian Peddie, Kanta Marwah, Ken Miller, Bob Horlick, and Rita Harper.
We are very proud of our relationship with Shred-it and we thank them for providing the 5 Shred-it trucks and 12 strong men who volunteered to shred boxes for the whole day. What a great team! See Photos
The prep work that was done by Neil McDonald and Ian Peddie ensured a successful event, and we all know, that this hands-on project couldn’t have been done without YOUR help and dedication. I understand that the event raised over $5,200 – this is fantastic and will assist us well when we do our Christmas Food Basket Program in December!
Thank you again for your continued support!
At the Board of Directors meeting on Monday, September 19, 2011, the following were recommended by the Membership Committee, and approved by the Board of Directors -
l) Application for membership - David Demirkan, General Counsel and Director of Legal Services, at Canadian Industrial Relations Board, Government of Canada, sponsored by Ross Christensen and David Daubney; His application and personal BIO can be seen by clicking here
2) Application for Membership - Catharine Franchuk, Partner/Manager at Allegra (printing), sponsored by Jan Mansfield and Ross Christensen; her application can be seen by clicking here
Objections, if any, must be sent to President Phil Rossy, in writing, prior to September 28, 2011.
ALSO, the Membership Committe and the Board were happy to accept the Transfer of a New Member - Uttra Bhargava, wife of Sam Bhargava, who has transferred from the Kiwanis Club of Bytown. Her application can be seen by clicking here.
Leave of Absence - has been approved for the following 2 members -
1) Dave Donaldson - for 6 months from October 1, 2011 - March 31, 2012, as his current responsibilities with Algonquin and the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce preclude an appreciable level of commitment to Kiwanis.
2) Armelle Chataigner-Guidez - for 6 months from October 1, 2011 - Mar 31, 2012, due to a full schedule in her work and personal life.
At the Board of Directors meeting on Monday, August 22, 2011, the following recommendations by the Membership Committee were approved by the Board of Directors -
1. Proposed for Membership - Omar Jabara, Director of Sales at AyA Kitchens & Bath of Ottawa, sponsored by Wadah Al-Ghosen and Bill Gosewitz. Omar has been a fundraiser for CHEO, Heart & Stroke Foundation, and Kidney Foundation, and has excellent marketing and sales skills, interior design. Objections, if any, must be sent, in writing, to the President of the Kiwanis Club of Ottawa, no later than September 2, 2011.
2. Resignations - i) Matt McGrath, due to family and health commitments
ii) Sandra Lee, due to increased family and work commitments
iii) Major Doug Smith, who has been posted to Toronto