Kiwanis Luncheon - Steve Kanellakos, City Manager - City of Ottawa
Steve Kanellakos, the City Manager for the City of Ottawa will be speaking to us about “ The City’s Priorities Over the Next Two Years”.
Formerly with the City of Ottawa, Steve is now proud to lead the fourth largest municipality in Canada, and to make a difference in the city he calls home. Steve’s vision is to build on the City’s culture of excellence in delivering services across a massive geographic region that encompasses many diverse and unique communities.
Steve provided some impressive information about the City of Ottawa:
- We’re currently the fourth largest city in Canada - we’re about to break 1 million in our population.
- More than 40% of our residents are bilingual and 22% are immigrants.
- Our landmass includes 2,796 square kilometres.
- The City of Ottawa has a $3.2 billion operating budget that funds over 100 different services that the City provides through one of our nine departments.
- Just last year, MoneySense magazine ranked Ottawa as the best place in Canada to live because of our:
- High median household income
- Low taxes
- Low crime
- Ease of access to walking, cycling and transit
- Good weather
- And strong, established sports and arts communities
- Ottawa has been ranked:
- The number one ‘Tech Hub’ to live and work in, in Canada
- The number one ‘most technology intensive city’ in Canada
- In the last 5 years, Ottawa technology companies have raised more money in the public markets then every other city in Canada combined.
- The number one ‘best place to live for new Canadians’
- The number one ‘most sustainable city in Canada’ and third in North America
- The number one ‘most educated workforce’ in Canada
- And, we’ve ranked in the top 10 cities for the best quality of life in Canada