Here is my Report for October/November 2010. As mentioned last month, I will post this report prior to each scheduled Board of Director's meeting which is normally held during the 3rd week of each month.
As most of our members are aware, the past 4-6 weeks have been extremely busy with many functions and much work has been accomplished by our members in many areas. We continue to strive to give back to our community by provided support and encouragement to our children and our projects. Our Board of Directors and Committee Chairs are hard at work in the beginning of our year for 2010/11 and we still have much to accomplish. As most of you know, our goals and objectives have been clearly laid out last summer when I presented what I and our team hope to accomplish this year. Here are some of the highlights of work achieved this past month by our club.
- New Members - both our Membership and Corporate Membership committee's continue to work hard at bringing in new members. Just this past month, we introduced Paul Arnold, James Taylor, David Puff and Claude Drouin. Claude and Mark O'Neill are new Corporate Members from the Canadian War Museum and Canadian Museum of Civilization and we welcome them. As well, David Puff is our new representative from the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel, and James Taylor is a new individual member from Ottawa, and Paul Arnold has transferred from the Kiwanis Club of Kingston, Ontario. Welcome, gentlemen. Get involved and get engaged in our club activities and find out what suits you best in lending your skills, knowledge and experience to our club.
- Justin Trudeau Luncheon - the luncheon held on October 25th was are resounding success attended by 400 members, guests and youth. Congratulations to the sub-committee who worked so hard on making this a success... Helene Crabb, Steve Georgopoulos, Bill Gosewitz, Ross Christensen and Bernie Shinder. A great success. Thank you to all.
- Shred-It Day held on Saturday, October 23rd was another resounding success raising over $7,560 to supply over 100 needy families this Xmas with food hampers. Congratulations to everyone who took the time to contribute to making this day such a success. Especially to Ian Peddie who organized and spent so much time in handling all the details. On November 10th, Ian, Neil McDonald and I attended the Shred-It employee appreciation event held at their plant in Ottawa East, and we were given the opportunity to thank them and to show our appreciation.
- Kiwanis Club of Manotick 50th Anniversary - just last Saturday,November 13th, we attended the KC of Manotick's Charter Celebration with a dinner/dance attended by over 150 persons. My wife, Dianne and I had the pleasure of joining Allan and Marjorie Castledine, along with Kathleen Holst, and Wayne and Firma French, to represent our club at their celebration. A very tasteful and classy affair.
- Kiwanis TV Bingo - by now most of our members are aware that last Monday, November 8th, we launched our new club fundraising initiative on Rogers Cable 22. Our 1st bingo went off without a hitch and thanks to the committee and all members and volunteers who have spent so much time inmaking this fundraiser a reality. Special thanks goes out to Steve Moore,Tom Burnie, Gary Flockton, Warren Gencher, Geoff Godding, Deidre Powell, Guy Bourbonniere and Tom Beveridge for their dedication and efforts. I'm sure we will have lots to report shortly as the weeks go by. Keep up the great effort!!
Here are some important dates to remember in the upcoming weeks for our members:
- November 15th - Next Kiwanis TV Bingo @ 7PM.
- November 15th - Board of Director's Meeting @ 4pm @ Rogers TV -475 Richmond Road
- November 19th - Kiwanis Luncheon @ Hilton Ottawa Airport - come early for some fellowship and refreshments.
- November 25th - Salvation Army Breakfast @ Westin Hotel - 7am
- November 26th - Kiwanis Club of Ottawa Member Christmas Party -Home of Tom Burrow's - Limit of only 40 members so book early!
- December 3rd - 20th Annual Christmas Cheer Breakfast @ WestinHotel - 7am. Join us at our Kiwanis Table.
- December 5th - Annual Family Christmas Party - 12 Noon at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier - an annual affair and always well attended.
- December 17th - Last Kiwanis Luncheon Meeting of the year - Join us as we celebrate our 93rd Charter Date and Anniversary. A very special affair for members to enjoy.
Please join me in the coming weeks' to enjoy the very best we have to offer in Kiwanis!!
"A proud member of the Kiwanis Club of Ottawa"