The Festival has been in continuous existence from 1945 to the present. It was originally known as the Ottawa Music Festival Association until 1985 when the Kiwanis Clubs of the National Capital Region assumed shared responsibility with non-Kiwanian volunteers for the Festival. At that time the name of the organization was changed to the Kiwanis Music Festival. Later the Festival was expanded to include Dance competitions as well as Music. The name of the organization was then changed to its current title. With the incorporation of Dance, the Festival has grown in size from about sixth place in the Province to second place. The Festival has maintained a steady growth in number of entries ever since.